This is the question Husband asked me last Friday night. Of course, his timing was brilliant as usual. He asked this immediately after reading my blog and the new About section.
Important Husband Note: Husband sometimes states things in a way that, at first glance, warrants a smack in the head. 99.99% if the time it’s just delivery – he doesn’t really mean it. I’ve been with himÂ a long time. I didn’t take it personally.
But alas, that’s a rabbit trail for another time! Back to the question. Why do people blog?
What I found interesting is that I didn’t really have a good answer for him!Â How do you explain the blogosphere to someone who uses the Internet rather than lives on it?
So, right. There are
- marketing blogs – “let me tell you a pithy story and tie it back to my product or service”
- advocacy blogs – “let me tell you why you should see things my/our way”
- information blogs – “let me tell you what I know about…”
- personal blogs – “let me tell you random things about myself”
- personal blogs for income – “I have lots of readers and have put ads on my site to support my blogging habit”
- family blogs – “let me keep you in touch with what’s going on in my family”
- picture blogs – “let me show you some pictures I just took”
Ahhh … yes, great. So, why is this blog worthy? I have no idea. It’s probably not. It’s Monday, I’m tired.
So, I guess that probably the biggest question he had (politely unspoken, thank you) is why do I blog.
It’s pretty simple really. I need to have a place to write simply to write and play with writing. Anne Lamott (one of my favorites, btw), says that if you want to be a writer, you need to write every day. She also says that most of what you write will be … well, let’s just paraphrase and say, “not good.”
It doesn’t matter if folks read what I write or not (although it’s always great to have feedback) … it just matters that I write … everyday! Who knows? Maybe a fabulous nugget will suddenly appear and I’ll expand on it and make millions.
It could happen … as long asÂ I keep blogging!